WAM! Members + Friends
Mar 13, 5pm - 9pm
Still looking for a perfect opportunity to introduce a friend or two to the Weatherspoon? Our annual Members + Friends event (open to WAM Members and their guests) may be just the chance!
In 2008, the Weatherspoon Art Museum received exciting news. It had been chosen as the North Carolina recipient of the Fifty Works for 50 States gift program, a joint initiative of the Trustees of the Dorothy and Herbert Vogel Collection and the National Gallery of Art. The Vogels' story of how they amassed one of the largest collections of contemporary art through modest means has delighted audiences nationwide.
This year's Members + Friends event recognizes again this important gift with a reception and encore screening of the award-winning documentary Herb & Dorothy (2009) along with the Weatherspoon premiere of the NEW! Herb & Dorothy 50x50 (2013). Directed by Megumi Sasaki, Herb & Dorothy 50x50 captures the last chapter of the Vogels' extraordinary life and their gift to the nation, raising questions on art, and what it takes to support art in today's society. Several works from the Weatherspoon's Dorothy and Herbert Vogel Collection will be on view in the museum's atrium for this event.
- Open to WAM Members and their guests.
- 5:00 pm • Tour: View a few of the works from the Herbert and Dorothy Vogel Collection in the Museum atrium. Led by Curator of Collections, Elaine Gustafson.
- 5:30 pm • Film: Herb & Dorothy * (2009, DVD, 90 min). Introduced by Curator of Collections, Elaine Gustafson.
- 6:30 pm • Members + Friends Reception
- 7:30 pm • Film: NEW! Herb & Dorothy 50x50 * (2013, DVD, 90 min). Introduced by WAM Director, Nancy Doll.
* Due to limited seating for the films, WAM Members are encouraged to reserve seats for either or both films in advance: contact Cathy Rogers at (336) 256-1450 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Reservations are not required for the reception but are kindly appreciated.
Image: Herb & Dorothy, 2009. Dir. Megumi Sasaki.